Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:24:54 -0500
From:      David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Trond Endrestøl <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>, mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@ssec.wisc.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended compilation optimizations

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
>
> > On 24 Jul, Dave Glowacki wrote:
> > Take a look at the PR I mentioned already:
> > 	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=19245
> >
> > = Were both  FreeBSD and Mandrake using  the exact same version  of gcc?
> > = Did the Mandrake version have any Linux-specific patches applied?
> >
> > At least, gcc -v shows nothing special. It is all in the PR. If Mandrake
> > does apply some fixes, may be, FreeBSD needs to do so too? This is worth
> > investigating, instead of discounting with "don't use optimization".
> Maybe there's some difference between the builtin specs that FreeBSD
> uses and the specs in
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.95.2/specs that Mandrake uses.
>
> Perhaps we should make a specs file for FreeBSD by, say, interpolating
> between the builtin specs and Mandrake's specs?
>
> --
> Trond Endrestøl                          |             trond@gtf.ol.no
> Merkantilvegen 59HB7,                    |    trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no
> N-2815 GJØVIK, NORWAY                    |+47 61139424 || +47 63874242
> Patron of The Art of Computer Programming|     FreeBSD 3.4 & Pine 4.21

You should be very careful with using Mandrake's specs, particulary with regard
to the kernel.  I have Mandrake loaded on another partition of my HD, and I
have had to download kernel source from kernel.org and compile a new "pure",
non-Mandrake, kernel to get any stability whatever in the system.  As soon as I
can figure out how to make a Slackware system accept modprobe sb, I will be
reinstalling Slack.

Dave