Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:36:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        lyndon@messagingdirect.com, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        dougb@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnu/27715: UUCP doesn't recognize traditional BSD config files

>     Thomas> If I recall correctly, the decision was that - although
>     Thomas> Taylor UUCP can be configured to accept it's own style of
>     Thomas> config files, or HDB UUCP config files, or BSD config
>     Thomas> files - by default we were going to leave it with the
>     Thomas> Taylor UUCP files.
>
> Why would anyone want to break backwards compatability with BSD (back to
> the very first BSD release) like this?
>
> --lyndon

Just F.Y.I. -  I was an advocate of at least allowing the HDB style
of UUCP includes (at the time, I was moving from a SysV box.)

However, I was unable to persuade most people this was worthwhile.

So, while we still had UUCP connections - I simply rebuild Taylor
UUCP each time I upgraded to allow HDB config scripts. [I was "used"
to HDB style and didn't want to spend the effort to learn Taylor-style.]

If I remember correctly, and I might be wrong... but, it seems I
recall a script or something-or-other that converted the older
styles to Taylor-style.

I'm not sure the mail archives were even "up" at that point, but
a search through them might be revealing.

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com