Date:      Sun, 04 Sep 2016 18:47:45 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Matt Smith <fbsd@xtaz.co.uk>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: omitting make installkernel in an upgarde between 2 x 10-stable

Matt Smith wrote on 09/04/2016 18:21:
> On Sep 04 16:35, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>> Hi, Reference:
>>> From:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
>>> Date:        Sun, 04 Sep 2016 13:37:26 +0200
>>
>> "Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
>>> Hi stable@ people
>>> In a jail,  uname -r 10.3-RELEASE-p4, I started
>>>     cd /usr/src ; make buildworld,
>>> then realised per
>>>
>>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>>>
>>> I will not be able to
>>>     make installkernel ; reboot
>>> preceeding
>>>     make installworld
>>> Am I on route to shooting myself in the foot ?
>>
>> It survived. No shot foot :-)

It should work in most cases but there are always some edge cases where
it can fail.

> Just to let you know. I have done this for years on versions 4 through
> to 10 and never had a single problem. Only on minor version upgrades
> though from say 10.2 to 10.3. My procedure is:
>
> make -j4 buildworld && make -j4 buildkernel
> make installkernel
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> shutdown -r now
> make delete-old
> make delete-old-libs
>
> I do this because I don't have a keyboard or monitor on the machine
> during normal use. This has *always* worked fine. However for a major
> version upgrade from say 10.x to 11.x I have always done it the correct
> and proper way using single user mode via the console.

I never did it in single user. There were some cases where it emitted
warnings in the case of upgrade from 8.4 to 10.2 but it was fixed by
second run of installkernel && installworld before "shutdown -r now" and
then everything booted fine.

Miroslav Lachman