Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 13:11:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnu compiler

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Lee Crites (AEI) wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Doug White wrote:
>
> =>gcc is an integral part of the system.  Upgrading gcc is not an easy task.
> =>There are lots of custom hacks in it.  It's a _lot_ easier to just upgrade
> =>the entire OS while you're at it.
>
> Cute...
>
> So, Sir Douglas of White;
>
> Let's say some <fill-in-the-blank> individual (as a purely
> theoretical example, mind you...), not knowing this tidbit,
> decided to just download the latest and greatest gnu stuff and
> compiled it.
>
> Are we (ahhhh, I mean, is *he*...) looking at reinstalling stuff
> from the cd?  Will this impact future installs?

I'm not Doug, but I want to butt in ... the latest'n'greatest gcc will
doubtless install the ELF linking system utilities, which will fail
miserably on his system.  If he doesn't have his old one still there,
he'll be badly hosed.  FreeBSD's default tools are a.out based, which
isn't supported by the gnu tools.  That means that every time the compiler
stuff is brought into the base system, a lot of work has to go in, so that
our tools work with the c compiler.  The gnu binutils DON'T work for
FreeBSD, and any attempt to make them work will fail.

There is work being done in current to move FreeBSD over to using ELF.
Currently, ELF linked executeables CAN work in FreeBSD-current, the
stumbling block is in loading an elf linked kernel.  That too can be done,
actually, so maybe I should say that the stumbling block really is getting
EITHER an a.out linked kernel or a ELF linked one to work, compatibly.

The point is, Doug's advice is dead bang on.  If you install the
latest'n'greatest from gnu, you better be REAL intelligent with regards to
linking problems, and compatibility with your other system stuff.  If
you're not real sure what you're doing, you're going to get a chance to
reinstall your FreeBSD system, whether you planned to or not.

> Lee

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |