Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:52:55 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        S Roberts <sroberts84@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 Stable - documented Mozilla Upgrade to mozilla 0.9.8

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 09:44:50PM +0000, S Roberts wrote:
> Hi Edwin,
>    Thanks for getting back to me, and for the information.
>
> I need to verify the following please:
> >cd /usr/ports/www/mozilla
> >make
> For my benefit, could you explain why a "make" is required at this point,
> please?

In every directory in the ports-hierarchy there is a Makefile. This
file describes what has to be done to create this port. To "run"
the Makefile, you have to execute the command make. It will parse
the Makefile and do the following things (in general):
- See if the tarball with the source is on this system and if not, fetch it.
- Extract the tarball
- Patch the source with some FreeBSD specific issues.
- Run configure to create a makefile for the source.
- Create the executable

You can do these steps one at a time by specifying a parameter with
the make-command (make fetch, make extract, make patch, make
configure, make build).

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org