Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:56:22 +0000
From:      "Ricardo M. Codizar" <ricky@jpi.mozcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using FreeBSD 2.2.2 as Gateway

To whom it may concern,

	Good Afternoon.

	We would like to upgrade our FreeBSD from version 2.1.0 to version
2.2.2. Our old machine (version 2.1.0) is functioning as our gateway to
the internet. In configuring the old version to become a gateway just
simply enable it in /etc/sysconfig gateway = "YES" and compile the
kernel with the option "option GATEWAY". In version 2.2.2 the "option
GATEWAY" is already obsolete just enable the "gateway_enable=YES" in
/etc/rc.network file. When i tested it as a gateway I received an error
"<hostname> routed [63] punt RTM_LOSING without gateway". Is there any
setting that I should set specifically in the kernel? Kindly help me
with this, because I want to migrate to the new version.

	Also about the static_route. In version 2.1.0, the static_route is
already specified in /etc/sysconfig. In version 2.2.2 /etc/rc.conf file
it is blank. Can I just copy the static_route entry from /etc/sysconfig
to /etc/rc.conf? Because when I don't specify the static route I can
receive an error like this "<host name> routed [61]: sendto (ep0,
224.0.0.2) : No route to host. What is the address 224.0.0.2 used for ?

	Hope you can help me.