Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 23:15:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>, "'Gurudatt Shenoy'" <gurudatt@cs.tamu.edu>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What libraries for socket programs in FreeBSD?

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Alton, Matthew wrote:
> >
> > > man socket
> > > man connect
> > > man listen
> > > man bind
> >
> > He didn't ask what they were, he asked *where* they were.
>
> Yes, and the man pages should and usually do document which external
> libraries are needed.

Not usually the ones that reside in libc, no, I haven't ever noticed
that.  I used to have to go looking with nm, when I was new to bsd.
Certainly none of these do, and it's pretty common for other OSs to need
net libs.  I wasn't trying to be critical, but the advice offered no
help.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).