Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 97 13:56:10 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:40:40 -0600, Dave Glowacki wrote:

>> Ok, it at depends what your PS1 variable is set to.. In bash type in
>> "set|more" and take note of the PS1 variable..

	Or just do set | grep PS1

>Or more bash-ily:
>
>	export PS1='\u@\h% '
>
>You can even do:
>
>	export PS1='\d \t (\s \v) \u@\h:\w % '
>
>To get a prompt like:
>
>	Wed Nov 19 14:33:10 (bash 2.00) dglo@sweetpea:/tmp %

	The % at the end of the prompt is generally associated with *csh.
A more Bash-like thing would be to use the $ that is traditional for
Bourne (plain sh) and Bash shells. And while we're comparing prompts..  :)
 I like to know what directory I'm in, but it can get too long to read the
commands that I'm typing in, so I put the directory and such on one line,
and my prompt right below.  If you do this with an xterm, make sure you
use the -rw argument, otherwise it won't wrap properly.

[studded@dalnet /usr/local/lib/ircd/conf]
 7$ set | grep PS1

By using the \$ shell special character, it will change to a # when I su
to root. There is more info available in the bash man page, in the
PROMPTING section.

Hope this helps,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***