Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:06:41 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 CPU and ACPI (was Re: Configuration of Compaq R3000)

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi

On 2005-01-27T12:42:58-0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Michael W. Oliver wrote:

> I've been working on a cpufreq driver for about 6 months now.  Work=20
> unfortunately has made progress too slow.  I have taken a vacation day=20
> to work on FreeBSD and plan to import a stripped down version (no=20
> throttling support) very soon.

As always, your support is much appreciated Nate.  You do fine work.

> The driver is a general cpufreq framework and two hardware drivers, one=
=20
> for SpeedStep ICH and one for ACPI Px states (like acpi_ppc but a=20
> separate implementation).  Other drivers, like SpeedStep Centrino and=20
> Powernow, can easily be hooked into the framework by their maintainers=20
> and imported into the general tree.  I've wanted to keep them as ports=20
> for now so that I could prototype the framework before importing it.=20
> That way we wouldn't have to restructure millions of cpu hardware=20
> drivers after the fact.

> The short answer is that a similar capability should be imported soon.

Excellent!

> >I do see some ACPI errors on my laptop when I boot it up, such as:

> >(dmesg -a | grep -i acpi):
> >acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization start
> >acpi_acad0: acline initialization start
> >acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
> >acpi_acad0: On Line
> >acpi_acad0: acline initialization done, tried 1 times
> >acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 70 us
> >acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 100 us
> >acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization failed, giving up   <-- ugh!
> >acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 130 us
> >acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 170 us
> >acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
> >acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
> >acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 900 us
> >acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 11000 us
> >acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
> >acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)

> This all indicates your embedded controller is not responding.  It's=20
> important to figure out why.  Can you post a link to your full dmesg too?

You betcha.

http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/dmesg.txt
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/usbdevs.txt
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/pciconf.txt

Almost everything on this laptop works with FreeBSD.  In fact, I have
more hardware support with 64bit FreeBSD than I do with 64bit Windows!

> >acpidump stuff is here:
> >http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/acpidump.asl
> >http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/dsdt.out
> >http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/sysctl_hw.acpi

> Thanks, I'll eventually take a look at this but hopefully you understand=
=20
> that I've set aside bugfixing for a short while to complete longer term=
=20
> projects.

Totally understandable Nate, take your time.  I am not going anywhere ;)

--=20
Mike Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi

--3lcZGd9BuhuYXNfi--