Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:37:20 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: --- I want to upgrade RELENG_2_2 to CURRENT ---

On Fri, Sep 05, 1997 at 12:15:23PM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Can someone offer me advise of the best way to update a RELENG_2_2 machine
> to CURRENT?  I've cvs'd the new source code, but it looks like it's going
> to take an arm and a leg to get it to build due to different
> includes/libraries, etc.   Is that true, or have I just given up too
> early?

It should be a case of "cd /usr/src; make world". The "make world" system
does complicated things (often more than once) to make sure that tools
get built with the right libraries and include files.

After you've built the world you'll probably discover that files in /etc are
out of date. The simplest way to update them is to follow the tutorial at

    http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/upgrade/upgrade.html

I *believe* (but can't confirm) that the name of some binaries have
changed between -stable and -current. "make world" won't remove these
old binaries. If you've got diskspace to burn, you could build the entire
world in another root, something like

    mkdir /mnt/new_root
    cd /usr/src
    make DESTDIR=/mnt/new_root world

which will install everything under /mnt/new_root. You can then go through
the directories under here, removing everything from the corresponding
directory under /, and copying it over from /mnt/new_root.

Be careful not to touch anything under /usr/local when you do this though.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
        Diana, the roadkill formally known as Princess, 1961-1997    NC5-RIPE