Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:13:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1 disks

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Is it decided yet what will be on the 4.1 disks?  Is there room for
> > the distfiles, and is it still 4 disks?
>
> Sadly, there is no room for the distfiles anymore since even the
> packages, which are the #1 user requested items, are overflowing the 4
> CDs.  I may be able to fight and win a battle to go to 6 CDs, but
> that will only catch us up with packages and "various extra bits"
> again.  Meanwhile, the distfiles have bloated up to around 3GB
> and only the FreeBSD toolkit can possibly accomodate even a good
> selection of them, so that's what we're doing now.  If you want
> distfiles, buy the toolkit.  If you want basic release bits and
> packages to go with them, buy the mainstream releases.
>
> - Jordan

	I don't know if growing the CD set to 6 CD's will really make more
people happier.  Maybe splitting the packages and distfiles into a add-on
set similar to the toolkit would work better.  Then 2 or 6 CD sets could be
made available with the ports/package CD's updated more frequently if
necessary.

	From my perspective, i.e. from a well connected network, only the
first two CD's are useful.  The first thing I do is set up cvsup and bring
down the latest ports.

	I'd be just as happy buying a 2 CD set, even if the price was the
same or only marginally lower.  i.e. It is actually worth something to me
to not get the extra CD's.  (I'm a closet Green Party member. ;-)

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com -- Ubergeeks Consulting -- http://www.ubergeeks.com/ ]