Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:35:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd in FBSD 4.7-RC broken?

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Kris Kennaway wrote:

:>On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:59:47PM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>> Hello.
:>>
:>> Since a today's cvsupdate and a new built of world and kernel,
:>> lpd of the printer server is no longer available to other hosts
:>> (/etc/hosts.lpd is up to date, no changes has been done to the
:>> printer configurations!).
:>
:>I dont think anything has changed here for quite some time.
:>
:>Kris
:>

Dear Kris.

Something has changed in several TCP/IP functions like gethostinfo.c or similar,
sorry being "fuzzy" with this statement.
From inetd I receive massive errors, that something seems to be wrong with
line one n /etc/hosts.allow and the following description targets AF_INET and
getsrvinfo (or similar).

I got rid of the problem by changing each full qualified name of the hosts in
/etc/hosts.lpd at server side into its IP. That solves the problem, but I think this
reveals a bug!

At the same time, compiling SAMBA on the same machine with the most recent cvsupdate of 4.7-RC,
samba works for several minutes, hours and then the server doesn't respond anymore. After reboot
or restart of the server (hardware) or the daemon (nmbd/smbd) the games starts again - with
the same result.

The reason why my statements about this error is so indifferent and not exact is: I changed
this night from 4.7-RC back to 4.6.2-p2 and recompiled SAMBA and changed /etc/hosts.lpd back
to its prior state. All things run well since then.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)