Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 06:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg@cm110119.cableco-op.com>
To:        Peter Kok <peter@sweda.com.hk>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 3.1 Install seems to have done some damage.... and Netscape of Peter

Peter,

Not really sure how to add to Jonathan's response below.

When I installed StarOffice it did not work.  I went to look at some of
the files and tried to use emacs. It no longer worked.  Then I tried pico,
another editor, and it too failed with a similar message.

Programs are designed to use lots of other programs, many of which are in
library locations - places the programs know to go and look for something.

The install removed some important library programs and I needed to put
them back.  The install did not remove the library programs, just messed
up access to them.

See
man ldconfig

for and explanation of how it works.