Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:45:51 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cable modem choices

Off-topic for -stable, but attributions have lost the small details such
as email addresses and this is probably of interest to a few.

Dennis Mathiasen <?> said...
>  Most manufacturers don't say that they work with UNIX.

Well, the Windows only software that they ship probably doesn't but this
is a modem which (as Chris BeHanna pointed out) has co-ax in one end and
cat5 out the other. OSs don't come into the picture.

> I'd appreciate any suggestions which one to buy.  Thanks.

As far as choosing a cable modem goes, make sure that your ISP uses DOCSIS
modems, then go out and get one. Don't spend more that US$200 unless it
freshens your air.

Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net> said...
>     My ISP expects a certain MAC address.

Mine too. When I went and bought my own for $120, I spent three minutes on
the phone with them to give them the new MAC and get back online.

>     As Doug Barton mentioned, you're better off leasing one from the
> cable company.  The cable modem sitting beside me, for example, is
> $1000 (so I was told).

In that case, I have some great deals for you!

> The lease rate is just built-in to my monthly access charge

...at about $20/month, I expect. Don't be surprised if this goes up
sometime soon, either. It adds up quickly.

> Hook up with dyndns.org and you're good to go.

...or any of the other free and at-cost Dynamic DNS services.

> boot Winblows for when (s)he shows up, just to placate the cable
> company, and then boot back into FreeBSD later.

Or you could let the cableco know that they have customers who actually
choose their platforms and don't run the infected inflated infestation
which infatuates so many and is responsible for the degradation of service
any time the latest stupid exploit does the rounds on your shared network.

As long as you aren't asking them to support your platform (which is your
job anyway), they _should_ support the service for which you are paying
them real money.

The DHCP instruction were good, but don't forget the (empty)
/etc/dhclient.conf.

-Andrew-