Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:18:36 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Greek Translation of doc/ tree

Hello all,

I've started translating documentation from doc/en_US.ISO8859-1 to the
Greek language, and in a local CVS repository have created a
doc/el_GR.ISO8859-7 tree to hold the docs while I'm working on them.
So far, I've only managed to find three Greek FreeBSD users who are
willing to help translating articles and parts of the FAQ.

There were a few changes I had to make in doc/el_GR.ISO8859-7/ files
to make sure that at least the HTML version of the docs builds
correctly.  I'm not really an SGML expert, and parts of the HTML
output (like `Chapter' and `Table of Contents' words in headings)
remain in English, but you can see what has been translated so far at:

	http://frebsd.labs.gr/index.html

A regular 'cvs export' (updated almost daily) of the el_US.ISO8859-7
files can be found at:

	http://freebsd.labs.gr/doc.tgz

Apart from HTML, I haven't managed to make other formats of the docs
to build correctly, since adding Greek support to TeX is way beyong my
beginner expertise, in TeX & jade.  I rebuild the Greek docs every
day, to see if there are errors that crept in and their latest version
is periodically saved at:

	http://freebsd.labs.gr/doc-html.tgz

For the moment, I'm merging between CVS trees, until we have at least
a couple of articles completed.  The first chapter(s) of the FAQ are
also on their way, and there are plans to start working on the
Handbook, once we get to find more volunteers to start working in
parallel with the rest of us, or when the FAQ is close to being
complete.

The question is, when would it be a nice point in time to send-pr the
doc/el_GR.ISO8859-7 changes and have them included in the FreeBSD
docs?

-giorgos