Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 01:11:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > Yes, I tag and then I build from that tag after resyncronizing my
> > local repository.
> >
> > Unfortunately, tags are expensive and you don't just lay them down
> > for fun.
>
> In what way are release tags expensive?

I'm not sure exactly what Jordan was referring to, but I know that every
time the tree gets tagged, a huge ctm delta is generated.  I think this
would mean a lot of net traffic also for folks using cvsup.  In that way,
it's very expensive and time consuming.

  I've been thinking of using
> tags to make a commit a single operation instead of a bunch of changes
> just connected by the commit-log, and for storing meta-information for
> merges.  With this and some merge-related tags (for storing
> meta-information) syncing RELENG_* and -current the way we want should
> become quite a bit easier.  Are the tags so expensive this would be
> non-feasible?  I thought they would be a comparatively cheap way of
> storing minor amounts of meta-information.
>
> Eivind.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |