Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:22:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Conlen <meconlen@obfuscated.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with -stable and ata drives

I've got a problem that, because of the nature of the problem and the
environment I can't give better details on.

When I cvsup'ed to -stable last week, (I was at 4.2 stable as of sometime
in December at that point) I rebooted after installing the new kernel and
when attempting to mount the filesystems it would time out on read. After
a few such attempts it would fall back to PIO mode (which happens anyway
eventually on my machine) and it could read, but then it would timeout on
write while (I'm guessing here) fsck was running. I could boot the old
kernel just fine. For some reason the new ipfw did not like diverting to
natd and my networking was a bit of a mess. In any case, I could get the
machine back to 4.2-release, which is where I sit for now. I didn't find
anything about this type of a problem in the research I did. I'm curious
if this is a known issue before I try to take my router apart to get chip
set and drive information to debug.

--
Groove on Dude
Michael Conlen