Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:12:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kelly@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Radix nodes, netmasks, and bogus sockaddrs, oh my!

  Is there any reason to fix the code in the kernel which assumes
rt_mask(rt) is a properly-formed sockaddr?

  For example, sys/net/rtsock.c:sysctl_dumpentry() just passes
rt_mask(rt)'s contents to userland to be interpretted as a sockaddr but it
seldomly is a properly-formed sockaddr (i.e. sa_family is almost always
garbage and sa_len is 0 for the default route).

  Nothing in the base system appears to care that the netmask isn't a
full-fledged sockaddr so it isn't hurting anything.  The main reason I ask
is that interfaces such as sysctl_rtable and routing sockets are currently
making stronger claims then they are living up to and I would be inclined
to fix it.  But if it were to be fixed, is there a preference for whether
it should be corrected in the routing table itself or just when the
information is exported?

  Thanks,

  Kelly