Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:28:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        zgabor@CoDe.hu (Gabor Zahemszky)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cmos clock problem

> I've got a 486-120, with Award BIOS.  Once, I found that the date is wrong,
> so I went into the BIOS Setup and corrected it.  From that time, I have the
> next problems:
> on every boot, the BIOS says, sometyhing is wrong, "Press <F1> to continue
> or <DEL> to go Setup"
> -- a) Setup:  The time and date are set to the last date setting, and the clock
> doesn't go.  Set it, reboot, the same problem, but the time/date is a bit more
> preciuos (;-)
> -- b) Continue:  FB (2.1R from Walnut Creek) screaming, that there is a problem
> in the CMOS's time settings, go and correct it.  I can ``date yymmdd..''
> and I can see the date changes (under Unix), but not in the BIOS.  Next time,
> the same problem.
>
> What's that, and what can I do to correct it?  (I have no money for a new
> machine, so don't tell buy another ...)

Don't change the CMOS clock using the BSD kernel; it won't set the
BIOS-specific CMOS checksum information, and you will get your boot
warning.

Look at the clock related man pages.  I believe you can touch a file
in /etc to fix this, but I can't remember which one.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.