Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:55:45 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENT

On 10/23/01 12:51 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt sat at the `puter and typed:

[ . . . ]

> Following that is often the ease of use argument.  Well, the key to
> fighting this one is two-pronged.  First your own house must be in
> order, if you have lingering problems with your deployment then you
> must fix them.  You also have to understand that the achilles heel of
> this argument is that usage is only as good as the monkey behind the
> wheel.  It makes no difference how easy something is to run - morons
> will be successfully able to wreck anything through incompetence.

And this gets into my favorite argument against buying *ANYTHING*
because it's easy to use:
They make it easy to use so you can hire unskilled people to use it,
but do you really want a moron running your security?  Might as well
open the gateway up and give out the password.

I prefer to develop something to do the damn job!  Make it intuitive
to the knowledgable user - if it's Granny trying to read email, then
fine, that's your target user, but Granny isn't your target user for a
damn FIREWALL!

Now go get the PHBs!
Good luck
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Bradley's Bromide:
  If computers get too powerful, we can organize
  them into a committee -- that will do them in.