Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 02:19:07 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for the major device number

Boris Popov wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Julian Elischer wrote:
>

>         Sure. smbfs actually consists of two major parts - SMB requester
> and filesystem itself. SMB requester handles all protocol details and
> gives clear interface like 'connect to server', 'connect to share', 'send
> request' etc. An opened device used as a handle for above primitives and
> this saves some code which should track these handles.

if I'm understanding this right, then a particular process has it's
own session to the server? Does the filesystem not just get mounted?
how does a process that is unaware of the smbfs open a session?
(I think I'm missing something here)

>         For example: any new connection established by userland process
> should be dropped when the process-owner is terminated. This can be done
> via at_exit handler and set of syscalls, but why to reinvent the wheel ?
> Kernel already does this job and does it well. (at_exit technique
> used in the netncp code and I don't like it much :)

what is the 'userland process'? The process that wants to read the data,
or some daemon that is doing work to maintain the session?

>         Of course, said above doesn't mean that mount_smbfs will hang as a
> daemon.
>
>         The only disadvantage is the necessity to create N nsmb devices,
> but this should gone when device clones will be available (in fact,
> clones are implemented, but there is some unnegotiated conventions with
> Poul-Henning and lack of spare time).

it would be nice of these convensions were shared with the rest of us
:-)

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org