Date:      27 Oct 2000 09:58:41 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Cc:        Andrea Campi <Andrea.Campi@it.worldonline.com>, "'current@freebsd.org'" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem in fetch

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl> writes:
> [Making sure Dag-Erling gets the mail]
> -On [20001026 18:45], Andrea Campi (Andrea.Campi@it.worldonline.com) wrote:
> > When trying to install ports, very often I find everything freezes just
> > after fetch completes. If I hit ^C and type "make install" again, the
> > tarball is there, that's why I say that fetch is already done.
> > If I hit ^T, I see fetch sitting in sbwait, the time not increasing.
> Just a note, I got the same thing under 4-STABLE with the latest
> sources.

Weird. I develop libfetch on -STABLE these days, and have no such problems.

Does this only happen with FTP documnts, BTW? I recently changed the
FTP code so it waits for the status code to arrive on the control
socket when the transfer is complete (so that connection caching will
work). That may be the problem; try setting FETCH_CMD to 'fetch -T60'
and see if it times out after sixty seconds.

> I'll get a debug/verbose dump for you tomorrow DES.

Thanks!

Everybody else, if you don't know how to do this:

# cd /usr/src/lib/libfetch && make clean && make obj && \
    make depend -DDEBUG && make -DDEBUG && make install

then run fetch with -vv, and you'll get a full transcript of the
session (note that this can be quite a lot when fetching a
chunk-encoded HTTP document)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org