Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Jackson <ben@ben.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrade issue from 2.2.x -> 3.2

I just did that upgrade (been with freebsd since 1.1!) and everything
seems pretty smooth.  I did a 2.2->3.1 upgrade on another machine so
I'm probably glossing over some aout issues (mainly that you have to
find them and move them into a separate directory).

One thing that confused me for several days and I just figured out:
sysctl moved from /usr/sbin to /sbin.  I have /usr/sbin in my path first,
so I was getting to old one.  It almost works, but not quite.  It only
displays about 15 `kern.' variables and then quits.

Perhaps the upgrade option should at least warn of that possibility
(maybe obvious, but somewhat unexpected) or even include a list of files
that once existed in FreeBSD but no longer do (to facilitate removing
them).  I'm thinking about digging out a 2.2.x install cd to build that
list for myself.

--Ben