Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 01:27:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > > In what way are release tags expensive?
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what Jordan was referring to, but I know that every
> > time the tree gets tagged, a huge ctm delta is generated.  I think this
> > would mean a lot of net traffic also for folks using cvsup.  In that way,
> > it's very expensive and time consuming.
>
> This should be irrelevant for adding CVS tags for each commit, I
> believe.  It will increase the ctm delta size a little, but the ctm
> deltas would still only refer to files that are modified anyway.  (At
> least that was an expense I knew about - I'm just wondering if there
> is some hidden expense I _don't_ know about, like files with a huge
> number of tags being excedingly slow to work with, or somesuch.)

You were talking about tagging the entire tree, right?  Every file gets
visited, and a tag added.  One operation for every file in the tree  ==
expensive.  I know that's what happens when a new release comes out; can't
possibly miss such a thing.  Can't possibly mistake it, just look back in
the archives of ctm deltas for 1 megabyte+ deltas.  Alternatively, look in
your cvs achive's commitlogs for huge commit messages, although I think
that Jordan's gotten some trick for doing that without the gigantic
message going out.  I'll have to ask him about that one, I'm curious.

> Eivind.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |