Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:47:27 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        Johan Pettersson <johpe159@student.liu.se>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum (again)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 06:26:24PM +0100, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hija Johan,
>
> Sunday, February 27, 2000, 17:50:03, you seem to have written:
> JP> Hello!
>
> JP> have a newbie question about vinum!
> JP> Have tried following config file:
>
>   Okay, I've been here before. I know what the 'invalid partition type'
>   thing is.
>
>   DISCLAIMER: I'm just a newbie too, but I happen to have gotten it
>   to work (with help) on my machine. I could be wrong anywhere, and
>   appreciate it if I'm corrected.
>
> [root@messenger:/ date/time: Sun Feb 27/18:06:53]
>  13# disklabel -er wd0
>
>    results in editting, probably with vi if you have a
>    standard-installed system :
>    For more info on VI, type "man vi" on the commandline.
>
> # /dev/rwd0c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: wd0s1
> label:
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 255
> sectors/cylinder: 16065
> cylinders: 1232
> sectors/unit: 19807200
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 19807200        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1232*)
>   d: 19807200        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 - 1232*)
>
>   Now, at the bottom there's the interesting stuff, 2 partitions
>   defined, the last line being most important. It makes sure /dev/wd0d
>   is a vinum-type partition which I can use in my vinum config file.
>
>   If you're a Windoze/DOS loser like myself, then at first it might
>   seem strange that the two partition-definitions seem to overlap. But
>   I guess that's just the way

The c-partition traditionally is the _entire_ disk.

>   BTW:  the  command  "-er"  parameters  for disklabel makes sure that
>   after you close vi, the information is ACTUALLY updated.
>
>   Do this for all drives you intend to use in your vinum config.
>
> JP> drive a device /dev/wd1h <--is this right ?
> JP> drive b device /dev/wd2h
>   No, that becomes
>
> drive a device /dev/wd1d
> drive b device /dev/wd2d

Which letter he uses is irrelevant. 'h' will work fine (it is what I
tend to use for vinum partitions). The key is that the 'fstype' on the
disklabel needs to be 'vinum.'

> JP> volume myvol
> JP> plex org concat
> JP> sd length 512m drive a
> JP> sd length 512m drive b
>
> vinum->> create config
> <snip>
>
>   After creating the thing, it still needs to be initialized and
>   formatted, check the docs on that (forgotten it myself)..

See newfs(8).

>   Okay,  so  creating your config should work now, and you should have
>   succeeded in formatting your vinum volume.
>
>   But  then you ofcourse want to see it mounted at startup; I also had
>   problems  with that, the docs tell you to put "start_vinum="YES"" in
>   /etc/rc.conf, but that doesn't start it up yet, unfortunately.

It does start vinum, but mounting disks is a whole other issue.

>   I've had to add the following lines to /etc/rc
>
> if [ "$start_vinum" ]; then
>      vinum start
> fi

Ummm... That is already in /etc/rc, specifically, at line 48.

>   The last step is that it needs to be mounted, at boot prefferably.
>   I didn't see a standard place for it, so I created /mnt/large for my
>   vinum  volume.  You  need  to  tell  the  system  to this aswell, so
>   /etc/fstab gets the following line added:
>
> /dev/vinum/myvol        /mnt/large      ufs     rw,noauto       1       2
>
>   this should work for you aswell

Except you don't mount it at boot, do you? The 'noauto' prevents it
from being mounted automatically. As for the mount point, you can put
it any place you want.