Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:40:46 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gensetdefs using sh(1),sed(1),grep(1) and awk(1)

At 11:38 PM -0800 12/19/00, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>This should have just been done a week ago when it was proposed.
>There's no reason for you to jump through hoops and have
>to write obfuscated shell scripts to accomplish this.
>
>Now can we end the bikeshed and just use the fast and _READABLE_
>perl version?

I would also prefer writing perl scripts for operations which
get too damn complicated and too expensive to do in shell
scripts.  Here at RPI we have a number of sysadmin-type
scripts which we tried to shoehorn into sh-scripts by using
increasingly complicated incantations of grep, awk, tr, and
other tiny unix programs.  We're starting to give up on that,
and just use a perl for the more complicated things.  The
perl scripts run in MUCH less time, because we aren't forking
another unix command every time we want to look at some byte
in a character string.

We had some scripts which would chew thru >10,000 unix process
id's trying to get their job done.  That is just nuts.

Or maybe use python, if people are scared of trusting perl's
size and build-complexity for "lower level" sysadmin duties.
I can sympathize with that concern, given that was exactly
why we (RPI) stuck so slavishly to sh-scripts for so long.
Not that I know python, but perhaps it would be a suitable
choice.