Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 13:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@thirdage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Dumb Questions (User Mode PPP and Boot Easy)

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jamie Lawrence wrote:

> The first one is with Boot Easy. I'm running 2.2.6 with 1 IDE drive
> formatted FAT with 98 and NT on it, and a SCSI disk (Adaptec 2940AU)
> at ID 2 with FreeBSD on it. I can boot off the boot floppy and specify
> "sd(1,a)/kernel" to boot.  The boot loader on the IDE drive, however,
> results in the "F1 - DOS F2 - ?" bit. I know I've seen this go by on the
> lists before, but couldn't find anything in the archives.

Split IDE/SCSI systems throw Booteasy for a loop.  You need something more
intelligent.

> My second question is with user mode PPP and slirp. I can manually
> connect by dropping into term mode, dialing and logging in, but the
> hitch is the PPP can't seem to detect when to enter packet mode, so
> I have to ~p to tell it when.

Try adding

set openmode active

in your profile.

> I suspect this is a problem with slirp,
> but was wondering if anyone had seen this. Also, using the
>
> 	set ifaddr 127.1.1.1/0 127.2.2.2/0 255.255.255.0
>
> style line doesn't work - I need to specify the server's address
> explicitly, which I won't know ahead of time. If I don't provide the
> exact server address, "add 0 0 HISADDR" fails.

Any reason you need that?  You're asking that the local take on 127.1.1.1
and the server take 127.2.2.2, but you're flexible.  Perhaps slirp doesn't
like this and you should just take what you're given?  These are
loopback-net addresses anyway, it's not going to hurt anyone if your ip
changes.