Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:55:24 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup

Fred Gilham wrote:

> > The practice I am beginning to follow (and what seems to be the most common
> > practice) is:
> >
> > a) cvsup weekly
> > b) check the -stable list daily for any interesting new merges (AKA MFC's)
> > c) if I see an new security fixes, or anything that sounds like it would
> > affect my system in a positive manner, build world.
> >

> I used to do something like this.  But I finally decided that step a)
> is unnecessary, and the cvsup should be folded into step c).  Why
> cvsup weekly if you're not going to build it?  A good reason NOT to is
> that most of the time your sources won't match your system,
> potentially making it harder to debug your system if you have
> problems.  Another reason is to not bog down the cvsup servers.

Not to mention the fact that you cannot rebuild the kernel until
you {build,install}world. By the principle of an infinite number of
monkeys, you will at some point forget and shoot yourself in the foot.

A local copy of the source repository is "the answer to everything"(TM).
Useful^n.

My 0.02 euro, don't update source tree without build world.

> --
> Fred Gilham                                 gilham@csl.sri.com
> [My tutors] got bored sooner than I, and laid down a general rule
> that all statements about languages had to be in a higher level
> language.  I thereupon asked in what level of language that rule was
> formulated.  I got a very bad report.    -- J. R. Lucas

ian j hart