Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 03:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/35625: sysinstall signal 11 when writing partition table during install

The following reply was made to PR i386/35625; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Bryan Collins <bryan@whaite.com>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:11:17 +0200

 On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:24:10AM -0800, Bryan Collins wrote:

 > >Number:         35625
 > >Category:       i386
 > >Synopsis:       sysinstall signal 11 when writing partition table during install
 > >Originator:     Bryan Collins
 > >Release:        4.4R and 4.5R
 > >Environment:
 > cannot install
 > bootstrap loader date - Mon Jan 28 13:01:20 GMT 2002

 > When writing the partition table in sysinstall, signal 11 is
 > received.
 > error is
 > ad0c: hard error reading fsbn 1 (ad0 bn 1; cn 0 tn 0 sn 1) status=59 error=10
 > ad0: cannot find label (I/O error)
 > ad0s1c: hard error reading fsbn 1 (ad0s1 bn 1; cn 0 tn 0 sn 1) status=59 error=10
 >
 > multiple times, then a signal 11 is received in sysinstall

 There may certainly be a problem with sysinstall insomuch as it does not
 process the errors returned by the kernel.  However, the above messages
 suggest that your problem lies mainly with the hard disc drive: those
 'hard error' and 'I/O error' messages surely point to a disc dying or dead.

 Possible workarounds include installing FreeBSD into a smaller portion
 of the disc, one without physical media errors, or buying a whole new
 drive..

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
 .siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI