Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:37:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        tim@iafrica.com.na
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet MTUs > 1500?

> An Ethernet frame with vlan tagging does _not_ have an extra header etc,

however you see it, it's the original bits plus some extra bits!

> When a tagged packet must be sent out ports that are not tagged for that
> vlan, the reverse process occures. The tagged header is removed, and
> replaced with a new one. Obviously new CRC values are generated each

i am not sure about this one: my understandinbg reading the
spec (18months ago) was that tagged packets only go out on trunk
interfaces (unmodified) or on interfaces tagged for that VLAN (this
time they are untagged).

> If the switch does some thing strange, like using different vlan tag
> values for the same vlan on different interfaces, then it would have to
> change the tag value, and recalculate the CRC. This is too complex a

Why are you so worried by the CRC, which is compuited on the fly
by the interface as bits are sent on the wire ?

> > I do know how my FreeBSD-based
> > vlan bridge behaves -- it does multiple encaps, but then if a
> > packet becomes too large it is silently dropped by the interface.
>
> If it encapsulates the the original frame including the original headers
> in a new ethernet frame, then it is doing it wrong, and can not be
> expected to interoperate with a bridge that does it right. Your frames

sorry i used the wrong terminology -- i said "encapsulate/decapsulate" but
meant "tag/untag" -- and it did interoperate with a real VLAN bridge (802.1Q)

	cheers
	luigi