Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:50:09 +0200
From:      denis <denis@actcom.co.il>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, help-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu, linux-il@hagiga.jct.ac.il, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-activists@niksula.hut.fi, linux-gcc@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-multicast@www.linux.org.uk, linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Dynamically Allocatable Name Service (DANS)

Hi, folks.

The idea I would like to propose is not platform dependent or
something, The reason I addressed it to all those lists in the
header is my desire to gain more auditory.

I want to write a name server with dynamical updates and all
binary database. (Actually I'm writing it) I know, that there is
dynamical updates support in the existing BIND distribution, but
it seems to me like fixing a rocket motor to the bike.

I think that simply not everyone understands the potential
of the server like this. One of possible usages might be
providing a constant look to dynamic IP addresses given by ISP
server. An ISP server, connecting someone to the net and
giving him an IP address, might also register this address on
it's name server(s) under the constant for every
client NAME. In this case  an ISP machine might be configur-
ed to be a postmaster for the zone and make spooling of all mail
until the clients' machines connect and forward it to them.

I won't describe here why it is usefull to have constant address
instead of dynamical.

Might be in the future all (excluding might be a few) hosts on
the net will have dynamically allocated addresses (because Inet
address space not too big (only 4 bilions and someth.:)considering
the fact that there are folks on the net who have more then one
Inet address, and in this case such DNS will be of use.
Pointless to remind that there are DNS databases which have huge
amount of entries and it is more & more dificult to maintain them
(as for server to lookup, so for human to update).
That is why I propose to make it's database binary. Let the
computer to do all the updating work.

Listen, I look for participants in this project (code & ideas
contributors), so if anyone knows someone who would like to help..
They are welcome!

Regards,
Denis
|  Denis Kopylenko, Tel Aviv, Israel. Unix System Programmer in  |
|  Algorithmic Research Ltd.          Data Protection Solutions. |
|  OSF1,             IRIX,             Linux,           FreeBSD  |