Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 2016 16:09:19 -0600
From:      Alan Amesbury <amesbury@oitsec.umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sanity check:  FreeBSD 9.3 binaries on FreeBSD 9.1?

First off....  Yes, I know 9.1-RELEASE is deprecated.  I want to run =
something newer, but circumstances require I can't for now.

Traditionally in FreeBSD -STABLE (as in 9-STABLE) referred to the APIs =
as being stable, i.e., stuff compiled within the same major release =
would generally run on versions within that release... or so I recall.  =
I have an instance where I have a need to run 9.1-RELEASE, but my =
package building infrastructure is all centered around 9.3-RELEASE or =
later.  Based on my (possibly incorrect) understanding of How Things =
Are[tm], I think packages built for 9.3-RELEASE will generally run on =
9.1-RELEASE.  Does this sound generally correct, or am I totally off =
base here?  Any major pitfalls I should know of?

--=20
Alan Amesbury
University Information Security
http://umn.edu/lookup/amesbury