Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:34:57 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make *real* random bits.

In message <39868A78.B6B11393@inpharmatica.co.uk>, Matthew Seaman writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>
>> Ok, some people just can't leave an open end dangling (people like
>> me for instance :-)
>>
>> I located a surplus german geiger counter cheaply [1], I have always
>> wanted to have one anyway, and in my junkbox I already had an old
>> smoke alarm [2].  The Geiger counter has a thin-walled tube which
>> takes about 15 events per second from the Am-241 source in the
>> smoke alarm.
>>

>Nice.  If you're thinking about this a possible commercial product,

I wouldn't even dream about it :-)

>Perhaps there is a cheaper alternative as a good source of random bits.

There are many ways to get random bits, this was just meant as an
example that it doesn't have to be hard or even difficult to use
FreeBSD for "special tasks".

I'm pretty sure that "noise-diodes" are probably the most efficient
way to generate random bits, but it doesn't measure up to a geiger-
counter when it comes to "geek value" :-)

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe