Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:31:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Milo Hyson" <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
Cc:        "Wes Kurdziolek" <wkurdzio@cslab.vt.edu>, "Ely Levy" <elylevy@cs.huji.ac.il>, <freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: New freebsd mirror

<<On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 08:46:38 -0700, "Milo Hyson" <milo@cyberlifelabs.com> said:

> Just one client connection brought the CPU load up to about 12%. I figure it
> must be something to do with the Modula-3 implementation

Nope.  The difference is that CVSUP is designed to trade CPU time for
network utilization.  There are lots of checksums and whatnot going on
under the hood in order to prevent unnecessary retransmission of whole
files.

If you were running an rsync server, you'd see similar results for
similar reasons.

-GAWollman