Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:53:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Kevin T. Likes" <klikes@isd.state.in.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NEC 282 ATAPI cd-rom problem

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Kevin T. Likes wrote:

> The thing that really bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be a
> probe taking place at all.  A friend of mine is running an almost
> identical configuration, except for using 2.1.0 instead of 2.1.5.  The
> only difference in the config file seems to be an entry for
> ATAPI_STATIC
> I tried adding that, and got no complaints from config, but it didn't seem
> to help.  I'm hoping there's a software solution rather than a hardware
> one.

The ATAPI driver is not perfect.  We've found that your chances increase
exponentially if you put the CDROM in the slave position on the primary
controller or single on the secondary controller.  This depends on your
CDROM and IDE hardware.

Unless you'd like to help the atapi improvement effort -- write
hackers@freebsd.org, and have your programming skills handy.  :)