Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:58:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Eldridge <diz@cafes.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   alpha multia axp (aka noname) boot problems

Hi,

I have an Alpha Multia AXP 166mhz box that I've been running Linux on for
a couple of years and decided I'd try FreeBSD.  I created the two 1.44MB
floppies needed and booted with them.  I kept getting the soft errors as
described in some of the FreeBSD documentation.  During kernel boot, it
spit out "dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 192" about 80 times
and then the kernel failed with a memory management fault.

Now, the documentation said booting from floppy with this type of alpha
was broken, so I burned a cd and was going to boot from the cd.  I got a
couple of soft errors to the effect of "device dka2: sense error", but the
kernel started to boot.  It failed again at the same places, spitting out
loads of garbage about bad interrupt pins.

I've also read that you can't use FreeBSD on the console with Multias
because of some issue with the video card.  I'm not quite sure I
understand why this is, I ran Linux on the console just fine (I even got
it to run X!, although only at 640x480).

Any insight or direction on where to buy new interrupt pins would be
appreciated.  =P

Thanks,
Mike