Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:46:16 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAXMEM was: Re: 2.1.6 on Compaq Prosignia 500 (2.1.5 worked)

At 08:24 PM 12/14/96 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:32 PM 12/12/96 +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>>>options                 "MAXMEM=65536"          # 64 MB memory
>>due to Compaq (and Dell) using an extremely irritating aspect of the EISA
>>standard, and saying that they have 16MB in RTC-memory.
>
>I think you're irritated about the wrong thing.  The RTC-memory
>cannot (in any standardized way) indicate more than ~65MB of
>system memory.  This means that bypassing the BIOS and groping
>around in the RTC-memory is a dead-end solution.
>
>There are standardized BIOS calls to obtain the correct amount of
>memory, even when it exceeds 65 MB.  I think the boot loader should
>make these BIOS calls and pass the correct information to the kernel.

The problem is that these BIOS calls are (to my knowledge; I'm no BIOS/PC
hardware guru) only are guaranteed available on EISA computers, and only
work from protected mode.  To do this "properly" requires both a check to
see if the computer has an EISA bus (which is in no way guaranteed - EISA
seems to be dying), a switch to protected mode, and a fetch of the value.
Few operating systems seems to do this "correctly".  As examples, both
Novell and SCO need this to be specified as an option.

The reason I called it extremely irritating wasn't that I consider a BIOS
call for getting amount of memory a bad idea - it was the fact that this is
implemented as a protected mode call which only work if you've got EISA,
instead of an extension that could be easily detected and called for any
clone.

I certainly agree that it would be nice for the boot code to detect this.
I even looked at implementing it when the problem came up, but found it to
be beyond what I wanted to learn about PC hardware.
--
Eivind Eklund             gopher://nic.follonett.no:79/0eivind
Work: eivind@dimaga.com   http://www.dimaga.com/