Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:32:38 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        FreeBSD Qusetions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   date/time display in Net.Messenger

Hullo,

I could probably nut this out, but... ;')

I've checked the archives (query was "netscape and messenger and time"
and variants with "date" and "linux" added) and no real joy. I'm sure
it's something stupid I've (not) done.

FreeBSD V3.3-Release, Linux compatability (linux_base-5.2) and Netscape
Communicator 4.61 - Linux variant. Dual boot with Win95 (rarely used,
but there anyway) and as such the RTC is set to local time (Australian
Eastern) with adjkerntz running.

My problem: Netscape Messenger keeps telling the time of the mail
messages as UTC, rather than local. I _can_ cope with this, but it's a
little disconcerting.

What do I need to tell Netscape to not use the (adjusted) kernel-time,
but rather the local time? (as 'date' does, quite nicely) Do I need to
declare an environment variable at Netscape startup to tell it it is at
10 (well 11 as we are still on DST) hours ahead of UTC ?

I'm working towards making this a FreeBSD only system, (still trying to
get a Lotus Notes *Client* working) and once I do that (installing
StarOffice today, I hope ;') I can set the RTC to UTC and drop the
adjkerntz.

Thanks and best regards,

haxxa