Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:22:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>, <administrator@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP with VIA chipset system lockups

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Christophe Prevotaux wrote:

:>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:50:55 +0000
:>Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net> wrote:
:>
:>> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:04:21PM +0200, Administrator IPA wrote:
:>> > On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, mikea wrote:
:>> >
:>> > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 06:45:49PM +0100, Christophe Prévotaux wrote:
:>> > > > I have a similar problem with a ASUS CUV4X-DLS
:>> > > > Dual CPU motherboard it is using VIA CHIPSET
:>> > > > as well and I have lockups , the system
:>> > > > freezes but I am still able to ping the machine
:>> > > > this is very strange , however nothing else works
:>> > > >
:>> > > > I have no problems running these machine in single
:>> > > > CPU mode but when I run SMP it does have freezing
:>> > > > problems
:>
:>> >
:>> > Hello out there.
:>> >
:>> > We have several SMP machines around here, one is a ASUS CUV4X-D based
:>> > system. This machine never have had any lockups as you described.
:>> >
:>> > Another system, a TYAN Thunder 2500/Slot 1 system with ServerWorks ServerSet III/HE
:>> > chipset had today its 'spontanous' reboot.
:>> >
:>> > With TYAN's mainboard I had a lot of trouble and it seems not to be only a issue of the
:>> > chipset itself!
:>> > TYAN Thunder and ASUS CUV4X-D have problems with IRQs, I guess, especially when using more
:>> > than one Intel EtherExpress (fxp) NIC.
:>
:>
:>Well I do have problems with the ASUS CUV4X-D and I am using the integrated
:>fxp ethernet interface , one DG500SX DLINK Gigabit Ethernet board and a PCA200E-SMF
:>ATM card in the same machine. Under Linux they worked absolutely flawlessly
:>
:>I am using
:>
:># To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
:>options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
:>options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
:>
:># The `hfa' driver provides support for the FORE Systems, Inc.
:># PCA-200E ATM PCI Adapter.
:>#
:>options         ATM_CORE                #core ATM protocol family
:>options         ATM_IP                  #IP over ATM support
:>options         ATM_SIGPVC              #SIGPVC signalling manager
:>options         ATM_SPANS               #SPANS signalling manager
:>options         ATM_UNI                 #UNI signalling manager
:>#
:>
:>
:>I also have APM enabled , but I am going to try with
:>
:>APM disable
:>
:>in my KERNCONF and see what happens
:>
:>
:>
:>--
:>===============================================================
:>Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
:>HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
:>Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
:>3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
:>BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
:>51686 Reims Cedex 2
:>FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center
:>===============================================================
:>

Well, you found one possible solution for your own. I had especially
on the TYAN Thunder 2500 problems with APM enabled, but why use this
seneseless feature in an server environment? Our ASUS CUV4X-D had
also APM problems, I deselected it - and things were fine as before.

Another issue is networking, NICs and IRQ with FreeBSD. I made the same
experiences like you with more than one NIC enabled and used in an
SMP system. While UP systems does obviously not have any problems with
more than one NIC (we have a bridging firewall with two NICs, fxp
type EtherExpress 10/100 Pro+, never saw any problem if the NICs are
placed in the right PCI slots on the ASUS A7V mobo), SMP machines does.
Especially those with newer chipsets. Our older SMP system, based
on two Intel PII/350 on a GigaByte and Bx440 chipset worked without
problems with two Intel NICs, but the TYAN Thunder 2500 did not. Our
ASUS does not have a built in NIC and it worked with FBSD 4.3 without
problems and in SMP mode using two NICs (activated and therefore up and
under heavy load!).

As I reported, the problems went away on the TYAN when replacing the RAID
controller and not activating the built in NIC. I guess this has to do with
IRQ sharing and the IRQ routing because I ran into much trouble when
I updated the firmware of the AMI Enterprise RAID controller (nothing else!)
and after a reboot, this controller obtained another IRQ and after a couple
of seconds the system locked up - until I placed the controller in a PCI 64/66
slot.

On Linux I never saw similar problems, but Linux has several other issues,
and especially performance impacts, which can be measured if both systems
are up and running stable.
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)