Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 16:20:45 +0200
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/29626: ifconfig causes kernel panic in 4.4-PRERELEASE

>Number:         29626
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       ifconfig causes kernel panic in 4.4-PRERELEASE
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD basildon 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRERELEASE #2: Sat Aug 11 15:26:06 CEST 2001 root@basildon:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BASILDON i386

After doing a buildworld - builkernel - installkernel - singleuser-boot
- installworld  cycle with sources cvsup'ed from cvsup3.de on 2001/08/11,
the system panicked when it entered multiuser mode and tried to configure
the network. The kernel used for installworld in singleuser was the
GENERIC kernel.

The problem seemingly occured because if_rl and miibus were preloaded.
When the system was booted without these modules and the GENERIC kernel,
it worked.

>How-To-Repeat:

I cannot tell whether other network card modules trigger this problem.
When using a card supported by the if_rl module, preload this module and
boot a generic kernel with support for this nic compiled in.

>Fix:

Do not boot kernels with support for things one has already preloaded?

Seriously: This has not been a problem until now. If this is a feature,
it should be documented in UPDATING.