Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 17:58:07 +0000
From:      Dom Mitchell <dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots of "panic: vrele: negative ref cnt"

David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie> writes:
> We're getting lots of negative reference counts for 3.0-STABLE. We've been
> getting them since long before Christmas. We have 3 SMP machines, all heavy
> NFS clients, which are dieing about 1 per day with this panic.
>
> Several of these hangs have been provoked by me logging out - you can see
> the ^D in the xterm - but everything dies before the window goes away. In
> the trace below the it is closing my tty I think.
>
> We have also seen this happen with a write process trying to write to
> someones tty.

I've seen identical panics when using nmh's spost command to send
mail.  Instant panic saying "negative ref cnt".  This is using an NFS
mounted home directory (containing the draft mail to be sent).
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to investigate further, so I just
switched over to using SMTP instead.

I'll try again on Monday to see if it's still doing it for me.
--
When I said "we", officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat.