Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:28:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Robert <mhi@internetmci.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Robert wrote:

> when you type "make install" for a port
> where does it look on MY system to try to find the tar.Z file??
> I have the gziped tar file and it always seems to try to get it from the
> ftp site.???

There is a makefile variable called "DISTDIR" that controls where the
system goes hunting for your files.  It defaults to /usr/ports/distfiles,
which is where I stick things that I download manually.  You can easily
override this by using an environmental variable (set it in your .cshrc to
whereever you want it to go).

There is more configurability than you might imagine in the ports system.
Even if you're not a makefile whiz, you can read the comments in the top
of /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk and find out how you can customize things to
be just how you'd like them.  There are a lot of well crafted comments in
there that lead you around.

> please email response
> thanks in advance
> Robert