Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:15:17 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Carl Mascott <cmascott@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 3.3-R: progs started from olvwm menu leave zombies

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 08:34:02PM -0400, Carl Mascott wrote:
> I'm having a problem with FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE that I didn't
> have with 2.2.7-RELEASE.  When I exit a program that I started
> from my olvwm 4.2 Programs menu, if the program created a
> child process, that child process becomes a zombie.  I have
> three programs that do this:
>
> Netscape Navigator 4.08 for FreeBSD;
> Netscape Navigator 4.72 for FreeBSD;
> An MP3 player that uses the xaudio library, FreeBSD version.
>
> All of these are a.out executables.
> Unfortunately, source code isn't available for these, at least
> not for the part that does the fork/exec.
>
> If I start any of these programs from a shell prompt in an
> xterm window, running the program in the background, there's
> no zombie after I exit the program.
>
> Is this a bug in FreeBSD 3.3?  A bug in olvwm 4.2?  A "bad
> interaction" between the two?  Have there been any changes
> in signals/process groups between 2.2.7 and 3.3?

FWIW I would abandon olvwm now. I used to use it (now I use fvwm2) but
no-one appears to be maintaining it any longer; in fact, xview-config
and xview-lib are no longer in the ports. I, and others, have found
bugs in shelltool(1) and the olvwm menus which, it appears, are never
going to be fixed.

> Please e-mail me directly: I'm not subscribed to this list.
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Carl Mascott
> cmascott@world.std.com
> uunet!world!cmascott

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX