Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:31:36 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        chrisndeb@mindspring.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Software Compatibility

chrisndeb@mindspring.com wrote:

> My name is Chris Goetz.  I am a user of FreeBSD.  I have been trying to find
>  out if there is a way to configure or add on some exhisting features to
>  make it easier for the common person to use.  (e.g. mapping a drive to the
>  server to browse the directories in an "Explorer type environment")  I've
>  been successful in doing this with other UNIX systems and it saves me hours
>  of trying to explain how to navigate in a UNIX environment to a computer
>  illiterate person who has never used anything except Windows.  Is there a
>  quick fix?

	Are you using X on these systems? If so there are a LOT of file manager
programs. My personal favorite window manager is KDE, which comes with kfm
on by default. If you're not using X, lynx should be able to handle url's
like:

file:///usr/home/chrisndeb/

to give you a place to start. Beyond that, I'm not sure what "mapping a
drive to the server" means.

Good luck,

Doug