Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 19:20:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        mike@smith.net.au, schilling@fokus.gmd.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord trouble on currnet / SCSI ABI test

>> The scg drvier which I wrote in 1986 is based on this interface and
>> itself is the base for my portable SCSI user-level command transport
>> system. It should be faily easy to make a CAM adoption layer for scg.

>It was.  The real problems with scg have to do with the lack of visible
>documentation.  It is unclear how to do any sort of meaningful error
>handling, or whether this should be managed at a lower level.  Again,
>this is an issue I was postponing until I had established that
>everything else was going to behave and the interface had stabilised.

The main problem with this documentation is that a hacker who wants to
contribute code must have thorough knowledge on the SCSI protocol to
understand what to do from reading simply a API doc.

For this reason, I prefer to have some ABI checker software.

The main problem with this checker software is that I must be able to
create certain error situations like:

	-	drive not selectable
	-	timeout
	-	SCSI status code on error
	-	correct sense data content
	-	correct sense data length
	-	return code of scsisend()
	-	check for working DMA residual count

I am tending to do the necessarily tests with CD-ROM drive as most people
seem to have one.

But for timeout tests not every CD-ROM drive is usable because the only
idea I currently have to force a SCSI timeout is to do one very big
SCSi-VERIFY on a disk with > 400MB data on it. This is because not all
timeout implementations catch timeouts fast (< 1 minute).

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling