Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:21:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        "Michael L. Squires" <mikes@12-222-67-235.client.insightBB.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tape autoloader/chio usage gets kernel error

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Michael L. Squires wrote:

:>> When retrieving the status of the autoloader via 'chio status' I get
:>> this error:
:>>
:>> ch: warning: could not map element source address 0d to a valid element type
:>>
:>> What does this mean? Prior to FreeBSD 4.2.6, e.g. FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE
:>> I never saw this error.
:>
:>I'm about to bring up my ADIC VLS DLT400 loader under 4.7-RC.  Controller
:>is an Adaptec 2940UW.  Are there any tests I can run for you?
:>
:>Mike Squires
:>UN*X at home
:>since 1985
:>

Well, if you want to do us a favour, please try to use the autoloader
with afbackup and hughe backups.

We need to move from our really small and slow DAT/DDS-4 tape to a
LTO/SDLT tape library or autoloader.

If you brought up your DLT autoloader, please move cartridges around
and watch whether you'll get the same error than I did. I get this error/warning
when a fresh magazine has been inserted.
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)