Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:06:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How am I supposed to have cvsup set up?

It's becomming increasingly apparent that I don't have cvsup set up right
for what I want to do, but I don't know how I'm supposed to set it up
right.

I have been running cvsup in checkout mode, however I have local patches
which I don't want overwritten by cvsup every time.  The logical answer
seemed to be to run my own cvs tree, with a separate vendor tag for my
local changes.

Then I noticed that cvsup can also run in cvs mode, which basically does
set up a complete cvs tree.  Great, I thought, I'll use that.  So I
last night I ran cvsup in cvs mode, and it set up everything nicely, but
all it downloaded were the checked-in RCS files (the ,v files) plus the
CVSROOT stuff.

1.  Is this what I wanted to do to accomplish my goal?  If not, what
should I have done?

2.  If so, how do I check out the entire source tree at once so I can do a
make world?

3.  Was it a good idea to have the stuff unpack in /usr (so I got a
/usr/CVSROOT, and /usr/src is full of the RCS files); if not, is there a
"standard" place for this stuff to go?

Evan