Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:21:57 -0700
From:      Janet Sullivan <eliyanah@techie.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: traceroute and IPFirewall]

"O. Hartmann" wrote:

>  have some basic questions ... We use IPFIREWALL on our boxes and
> ICMP is allowed to pass ... ping is possible, but no traceroute.
> Any ideas how to fix or to do? Thanks.

AFAIK, unix and cisco traceroutes send out UDP packets and receive ICMP
messages in return (TTL exceded).  So if you block all UDP, traceroute
will be broken although ping will work.  This does not apply to Windows
tracert as it sends ICMP packets instead of UDP.  Your traceroutes are
likely failing because the initial UDP packets never make it past your
firewall.

Janet