Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 14:01:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        faulkner@asgard.bga.com (Boyd R. Faulkner)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dlopen and stuff

> I am trying to port regina (REXX) to FreeBSD.  It supports loadable libraries
> via the dlopen mechanism.  I can dlopen the lib.  dlsym returns the address
> and runs but the lib code calls functions in a statically linked lib linked
> to the executable calling the dynamic lib.  This works on a sun.  Can it work
> here?

You will need to dynamically link the common sublibrary, or the symbol
space will not be exported.

This is probably a bug in the way export symbol tables are handled
for static code where dynamic linking is supported, if you want to
examine the technicality.

Specifically, there is not a shared export list for statically linked
(but exported) symbols in objects which aren't shared.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.