Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 02:56:56 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Peter McGarvey <Peter.McGarvey@telinco.net>
Cc:        FREEBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD Theology: swap, /var, /tmp and /usr/tmp

I don't think this is a BSD v/s linux thing. The default partitioning
scheme will work a lot of the time but not all the time. What your
friend wants doesn't seem very conventional from a linux point of view
either, but could be necessary for him.

For instance if you're running a very busy mailserver, you'll
want a large /var partition.

If your users are running code which generate large datafiles and
want some scratch space, you'll want a large /tmp partition.

If the above are true, and you don't want problems caused by filling
up / or /usr, you'll put /var and /tmp on separate partitions.

Rahul.